I grew up in a household that was built on a foundation of low self-esteem. It was resoundingly apparent in my sister who constantly doubted herself and was highly critical of her overall appearance, inside and out.
Thankfully, nobody at home was willing to roll over and die, nor were we willing to accept the cards we were handed.
So, we took a good long stare into the mirror and acknowledged our true selves.
With that frame of mind, a journey of self-development, hard work and acceptance consumed our lives for many years.
Instead of running from our demons, we faced them head-on and it translated into every area of our life.
I found myself thriving romantically and negotiating a better life for myself because I started to earn my own respect. So did the rest of my family.
If you truly want to thrive socially and romantically, it starts with forging self-esteem and self-worth that is of a certain high standard. This will make you appear so much more attractive and invite good things into your life as well.
And with that, I’d like you to read and study the following 50 quotes on self worth.
50 Quotes On Self Worth You Absolutely Need To Read
1. “I don’t want to see anyone. I lie in the bedroom with the curtains drawn and nothingness washing over me like a sluggish wave. Whatever is happening to me is my own fault. I have done something wrong, something so huge I can’t even see it, something that’s drowning me. I am inadequate and stupid, without worth. I might as well be dead.” ― Margaret Atwood
2. “It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.”
― John Joseph Powell
3. “Never forget that once upon a time, in an unguarded moment, you recognized yourself as a friend.” ― Elizabeth Gilbert
4. “Every woman that finally figured out her worth, has picked up her suitcases of pride and boarded a flight to freedom, which landed in the valley of change.” ― Shannon L. Alder
5. “Life is too short to waste any amount of time on wondering what other people think about you. In the first place, if they had better things going on in their lives, they wouldn’t have the time to sit around and talk about you. What’s important to me is not others’ opinions of me, but what’s important to me is my opinion of myself.” ― C. JoyBell C.
6. “One of the greatest regrets in life is being what others would want you to be, rather than being yourself.” ― Shannon L. Alder
7. “We cannot think of being acceptable to others until we have first proven acceptable to ourselves.” ― Malcolm X
8. “Anger, resentment and jealousy doesn’t change the heart of others– it only changes yours.” ― Shannon Alder
9. “Strong people have a strong sense of self-worth and self-awareness; they don’t need the approval of others.” ― Roy T. Bennett
10. “If you spend your time hoping someone will suffer the consequences for what they did to your heart, then you’re allowing them to hurt you a second time in your mind.” ― Shannon L. Alder
11. “I will not be “famous,” “great.” I will go on adventuring, changing, opening my mind and my eyes, refusing to be stamped and stereotyped. The thing is to free one’s self: to let it find its dimensions, not be impeded.” ― Virginia Woolf
12. “You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” ― Wayne W. Dyer
13. “Staying silent is like a slow growing cancer to the soul and a trait of a true coward. There is nothing intelligent about not standing up for yourself. You may not win every battle. However, everyone will at least know what you stood for—YOU.” ― Shannon L. Alder
14. “Being brave enough to be alone frees you up to invite people into your life because you want them and not because you need them.” ― Mandy Hale
15. “Two things you will never have to chase: True friends & true love.” ― Mandy Hale
16. “If a man thinks he is not conceited, he is very conceited indeed.” ― C.S. Lewis
17. “He doesn’t need to be reminded you’re great.” ― Greg Behrendt
18. “A competitive and insecure woman will tell you that “true love” is never giving up on someone you’re in love with. A confident and spiritual woman knows that “moving on” doesn’t mean you never loved someone. She realizes that letting go is what God needs her to do because both your happiness and hers requires taking different journeys for spiritual growth. Letting go is sometimes the hardest thing, but it is the most “real love” you will ever experience.” ― Shannon L. Alder
19. “Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can any deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It’s beyond me.” ― Zora Neale Hurston
20. “Let’s tell the truth to people. When people ask, ‘How are you?’ have the nerve sometimes to answer truthfully. You must know, however, that people will start avoiding you because, they, too, have knees that pain them and heads that hurt and they don’t want to know about yours. But think of it this way: If people avoid you, you will have more time to meditate and do fine research on a cure for whatever truly afflicts you.” ― Maya Angelou
21. “There is nothing so rewarding as to make people realize that they are worthwhile in this world.” ― Bob Anderson
22. “You can be the most beautiful person in the world and everybody sees light and rainbows when they look at you, but if you yourself don’t know it, all of that doesn’t even matter. Every second that you spend on doubting your worth, every moment that you use to criticize yourself; is a second of your life wasted, is a moment of your life thrown away. It’s not like you have forever, so don’t waste any of your seconds, don’t throw even one of your moments away.” ― C. JoyBell C
23. “Most lives are not distinguished by great achievements. They are measured by an infinite number of small ones. Each time you do a kindness for someone or bring a smile to his face, it gives your life meaning. Never doubt your value, little friend. The world would be a dismal place without you in it. (tweaked version of a passage from Scandal in Spring)” ― Lisa Kleypas
24. “I never felt like that before. Maybe it could be depression, like you get. I can understand how you suffer now when you’re depressed; I always thought you liked it and I thought you could have snapped yourself out any time, if not alone then by means of the mood organ. But when you get that depressed you don’t care. Apathy, because you’ve lost a sense of worth. It doesn’t matter whether you feel better because you have no worth.” ― Philip K. Dick
25. “If you learn to really sit with loneliness and embrace it for the gift that it is…an opportunity to get to know YOU, to learn how strong you really are, to depend on no one but YOU for your happiness…you will realize that a little loneliness goes a LONG way in creating a richer, deeper, more vibrant and colorful YOU.” ― Mandy Hale
26. “Sometimes the hardest part of the journey is believing you’re worthy of the trip.” ― Glenn Beck
27. “It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.” ― Abraham Lincoln
28. “Every job from the heart is, ultimately, of equal value. The nurse injects the syringe; the writer slides the pen; the farmer plows the dirt; the comedian draws the laughter. Monetary income is the perfect deceiver of a man’s true worth.” ― Criss Jami
29. “You can run away from yourself so often, and so much, just because the broken pieces of you cut your feet too deeply if you stay around for too long. But then what if someone were to come along and pick up those pieces for you? Then you wouldn’t have to run away from yourself anymore. You could stop running. If someone sees you as something worth staying with— maybe you’ll stay with yourself, too.” ― C. JoyBell C.
30. “As long as you look for someone else to validate who you are by seeking their approval, you are setting yourself up for disaster. You have to be whole and complete in yourself. No one can give you that. You have to know who you are – what others say is irrelevant.” ― Nic Sheff
31. “Outer beauty pleases the EYE. Inner beauty captivates the HEART.” ― Mandy Hale
32. “My hands tend to be full enough dealing with people who hate me for who I am. Concentrate too hard on the millions of people who hate you for what you are and you’re likely to turn into one of those unkempt, sloppy dressers who sag beneath the weight of the two hundred political buttons they wear pinned to their coats and knapsacks.” ― David Sedari
33. “You will never gain anyone’s approval by begging for it. When you stand confident in your own worth, respect follows.” ― Mandy Hale
34. “A diamond doesn’t start out polished and shining. It once was nothing special, but with enough pressure and time, becomes spectacular. I’m that diamond.” ― Solange Nicole
35. “We do not get to choose how we start out in life. We do not get to choose the day we are born or the family we are born into, what we are named at birth, what country we are born in, and we do not get to choose our ancestry. All these things are predetermined by a higher power. By the time you are old enough to start making decisions for yourself, a lot of things in your life are already in place. It’s important, therefore, that you focus on the future, the only thing that you can change.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
36. “Lord, when I feel that what I’m doing is insignificant and unimportant, help me to remember that everything I do is significant and important in your eyes, because you love me and you put me here, and no one else can do what I am doing in exactly the way I do it.” ― Brennan Manning
37. “You can’t own a human being. You can’t lose what you don’t own. Suppose you did own him. Could you really love somebody who was absolutely nobody without you? You really want somebody like that? Somebody who falls apart when you walk out the door? You don’t, do you? And neither does he. You’re turning over your whole life to him. Your whole life, girl. And if it means so little to you that you can just give it away, hand it to him, then why should it mean any more to him? He can’t value you more than you value yourself.” ― Toni Morrison
38. “Consider the fact that maybe…just maybe…beauty and worth aren’t found in a makeup bottle, or a salon-fresh hairstyle, or a fabulous outfit. Maybe our sparkle comes from somewhere deeper inside, somewhere so pure and authentic and REAL, it doesn’t need gloss or polish or glitter to shine.” ― Mandy Hale
39. “If you don’t know what you want, you’ll never find it. If you don’t know what you deserve, you’ll always settle for less. You will wander aimlessly, uncomfortably numb in your comfort zone, wondering how life has ended up here. Life starts now, live, love, laugh and let your light shine!” ― Rob Liano
40. “There will always be someone willing to hurt you, put you down, gossip about you, belittle your accomplishments and judge your soul. It is a fact that we all must face. However, if you realize that God is a best friend that stands beside you when others cast stones you will never be afraid, never feel worthless and never feel alone.” ― Shannon Alder
41. “If you have to convince someone to stay with you then they have already left.” ― Shannon L. Alder
42. “If you wish to achieve worthwhile things in your personal and career life, you must become a worthwhile person in your own self-development.” ― Brian Tracy
43. “Confidence is knowing who you are and not changing it a bit because of someone’s version of reality is not your reality.” ― Shannon L. Alder
44. “Whenever I am in a difficult situation where there seems to be no way out, I think about all the times I have been in such situations and say to myself, “I did it before, so I can do it again.” ― Idowu Koyenikan
45. “I have no right to say or do anything that diminishes a man in his own eyes. What matters is not what I think of him but what he thinks of himself. Hurting a man in his dignity is a crime.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
46. “It’s lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened.” ― Mark Twain
47. “The enemy uses those things your insecure about. Free yourself and take your power back by being secure in who you are – flaws and all.” ― Yvonne Pierre
48. “Chasing a person doesn’t give you value or build values in you. You earn your value by chasing morality and practicing dignity.” ― Shannon L. Alder
49. “Once you embrace your value, talents and strengths, it neutralizes when others think less of you.” ― Rob Liano
50. “Be a bit of a challenge; not because you’re playing games but because you realize you’re worth the extra effort.” ― Mandy Hale
Which Of These 50 Self Worth Quotes Resonated With You The Most?
A healthy mind needs to be fed healthy information about yourself and your self worth on a daily basis. I hope you found this collection of quotes on self-worth to be valuable and enriching.
We also have a collection of quotes on love that are beyond romantic and perfect for anniversary cards or love letters.
Okay, so if you enjoyed this article, please subscribe to my free newsletter or head over to the comment section below to let me know which of these quotes resonated with you the most!